Deaf Smith County, Texas
Deaf Smith County, on the western edge of the Panhandle, is bounded on the west by New Mexico, on the north by Oldham County, on the east by Randall County, and on the south by Parmer and Castro counties.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Ayr | Bippus | Bootleg | Dawn | Dowell |Ford | Glenrio | Hereford - county seat | Kelso | LaPlata | Milo Center | Simms | Westway | Wyche
Deaf Smith County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar District, but was not organized until 1 December 1890. County seats: LaPlata, 1890-1898; Hereford, 1898-present.
Deaf Smith County 1922. A portion of the vast holdings of the Capital Syndicate Ranch was located in Deaf Smith County, and for many years almost the entire area of 991,360 acres were included in great ranches, and the grazing of cattle is still almost the only vocation except along the line of railways.
Deaf Smith County was organized October 3. 1890, and the first county seat was at La Plata, a village no longer in existence. When the Pecos & Northern Texas Railroad from Amarillo was completed through the county towards the close of 1898, a station was established at a point called Hereford, and a few houses soon marked the site. This location was voted the county seat, and it has since been the metropolis of the county. In 1910 it had a population of 1,750. Continue Reading Deaf Smith County History Written in 1922 >>
Deaf Smith County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Deaf Smith County Library History from the Deaf Smith County Library.
The land and its people, 1876-1981: Deaf Smith County, Texas, 1982 by the Deaf Smith County Historical Society, a history book featuring local history, photographs, illustrations, and biographies. Digital book online from The Portal to Texas History.
A History of Deaf Smith County, 1964, by Bessie Patterson. Digital book on line from the Portal to Texas History.
Deaf Smith County Library
211 E 4th St
Hereford, TX 79045