Crockett County History 1922
History of Crockett County Written in 1922
Crockett County. When created on January 22, 1875, Crockett County comprised an area of 10,000 square miles. The south line of original Tom Green County bounded it on the North, the Pecos River on the West, it extended along the Rio Grande for a number of miles, as far as original Kinney County, and included besides its present immense area a portion of Val Verde County and also the counties of Sutton and Schleicher. Val Verde County was created in 1885, and Sutton and Schleicher counties in 1887. Crockett County still has an area of about 3,000 square miles. There are no railroads, except a few miles of the Orient line through the extreme northwest corner and the county seat is at Ozona, located on a tributary of the Pecos River. The surface in the northern portion of the county is level, high plains, while the southern and western parts are very rough, consisting of high hills, narrow valleys and canyons.
Crockett County is essentially a stock raising country, and with the exception of a few acres cultivated near ranch houses there is no attempt at farming.
The county was organized July 14, 1891. Its population in 1880, before the division of its territory, was only 127; in 1890, 1,194; in 1900, 1,591; in 1910, 1,296, and in 1920, 1,500.
The total area of Crockett County comprises 2,057,600 acres, and the last census classified about 47,000 acres as "improved land." The live stock interests at that time were enumerated as follows : Cattle, 79,765; horses and mules, about 4,000; sheep, 109,943, and goats, 8,793 ; in 1920, 56,621 cattle, 3,454 horses and mules, 77,033 sheep, 21,707 goats.
The only crops that found a place in the statistics for 1909 were 561 acres in hay and forage crops, and forty-three acres in kaffir corn and milo maize. The first bale of cotton was raised in the county in 1903. Ten years ago it was stated that about half of the land belonged to the state school and university funds, and the other half to railroads and individuals.
In 1910 only seventy-nine farms and ranches were enumerated. The assessed value of property in the county in 1903 was $2,199,653 ; in 1913, $2,742,442 ; in 1920, $3,634,030. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.