Cottle County History 1922
History of Cottle County Written in 1922
Cottle County. The building of the Quanah, Acme & Pacific Railroad in 1909-10 opened up Cottle County to the agricultural settler, and a rapid development has ensued, but as yet there are no official statistics to cover this recent growth.
Cottle County was created August 21, 1876, and was organized January 11, 1892. In 1880 only twenty-four inhabitants were enumerated as residents of the county. Population in 1890 was 240 ; in 1900, 1,002 ; in 1910, 4,396, and in 1920, 6,901. Paducah, which was established as the county seat, had a population in 1910 of 1,350.
Cottle County is still prominent as a cattle country, but farmers are invading the pastures and demonstrating the value of the land in the production of cotton, grain and fruits. In recent years several of the largest ranches have been broken up into tracts. In 1900 the number of farms and ranches in the county was 122, and in 1910 there were 506. The total area of the county is 647,680 acres, of which 460,439 acres were reported in farms and ranches in 1910.
The rapid process of agriculture is indicated by the fact that in 1900 only about 8,000 acres were classed as "improved land," while by 1910 about 214,000 acres were classified. The last census reported 16,488 cattle, and 3,920 horses and mules. In 1909, 17,151 acres were planted in cotton, 5,550 acres in corn, and 2,860 acres in kaffir corn and milo maize. About 6,500 orchard fruit trees were enumerated. The value of assessed property in 1903 was $1,627,982; in 1913, $4,581,538, and in 1920, $6,821,475. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.