Slater Cemetery. This cemetery served the once thriving farming and ranching community of Slater, which formed in the late 1800s. By the early 1900s, the community had two churches, a post office, a school and various businesses. In 1907, James and Ellen Martin donated land to be used as a free burial ground for Slater residents. Their son, Curry, was buried that year; his is the cemetery's oldest marked grave. A cemetery association organized in 1964 continues to care for the burial ground. Veterans, landowners and community leaders are among those buried here. Today, it is all that remains of Slater, preserving the record of the pioneering families who settled in this area. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006. - Historical Marker Text. Location: From Gatesville take Hwy 84 west to FM 116. Turn left (south) on 116 and follow to its junction with FM 1783 about 3 miles. Turn right (west) on FM 1783 and continue about 12 miles to the cemetery, which is on the left (east) side of the road. No name or entrance.