Copperas Cove History 1936
W. E. Bennett established the first newspaper in the 1880's. In 1885, O. N. Guthrie built a flour mill, which' has long since closed.
J. M. Clements stablished the first general store in Copperas Cove. Jim Bolden established in business in the year 1881.
E. R. Goodson and wife located at Copperas Cove in 1882. They owned the first hotel, and also a lumber yard. Mr. Goodson's activities were many. He built the first cotton gin, one 60-saw stand and was powered by a traction steam engine. Mr. Goodson once represented the District in the State Legislature. T. A. Whitsett was a merchant for many years.
Dr. Arnold located here in 1878 and a short time afterward came Dr. Evans.
The religious spirit of the Copperas Cove people is represented by four church organizations, each with a large membership. The Baptist worship in a large stone edifice. The Methodist have a substantial brick building on stone foundation. The German Methodist and Christian Church each own their own church edifices.
The business structures of the town are above the average for small towns. Most of them are constructed of native stone of a good quality, and some have brick fronts. A list of the leading businesses of the town will include the following: Dr. Lee Bivens, physician; Jim Bell, druggist; Jesse Bell, grocer; Norman and Schneider, general merchandise; B. S. Hubby, druggist; Wendland, grain and feed; Jesse Clements, insurance; and several other smaller firms.
The local newspaper, the Crony, is in its fourteenth year, and is owned and published by Mrs. Elizabeth Smylie.
The public school has an enrollment of about 250 pupils and a faculty of eight teachers. A music studio and teacher is a part of the school system. The school has partial state affiliation, which will probably be completed this year. Two buses bring pupils in from outlying districts.
Furnishing a pioneer color of the early days as well as historical interest, we quote herewith part of a letter written by the father of Jesse Clements in 1860 to a friend living in Louisiana: "Sept. 13, 1860; a five inch snow in winter of 1859-60. Peach trees five years old frozen; snow lay on ground five weeks, followed by intense drouth. Wheat and corn $2.00 per bushel, but plentiful. Bread grains enough to supply immediate needs.
In six months 85 persons (black and white) have been hung as horse thieves and abolitionists. On trip to Waco Mill passed one man hanging to tree, and at mill mob was flogging another."