Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

McKinney and Collin County History 1924

The city has twenty miles of paved streets, all electrically lighted. It has natural gas for heating purposes, street car line, sewerage system, city incinerator, modernly equipped tour­ist camp, fifty acres public parks, ten churches, modern high school building, modern junior high school building and four eight room modern brick ward school buildings all fire­proof construction, and an eight teacher colored school.

City has 2,300 scholastic enrollment. McKinney has three wholesale grocery houses; is one of the largest whole­sale and retail mule markets in the state; federal postoffice building and a number of manufacturing indus­tries including one million two hun­dred thousand dollar capitalized cot­ton mill and two thousand barrel ca­pacity flour mill, modern compress, cotton seed oil mill; two steam rail­way lines and one electric railway line.

Fifty-five interurban cars pass through the city daily. Taxable val­ues of the city six million dollars ($8,000,000) and of county $35,000,­000. The town has three newspapers -The Weekly Examiner, Clint Thompson, F. C Thompson and J. Frank Smith editors. The Weekly Democrat-Gazette, established Feb­ruary 7, 1884 and the Daily Courier-Gazette established March 4, 1897 both of the last two named papers are own­ed and edited by Perkins & Wilson, a firm composed of Tom W. Perkins and Walter B. Wilson. The city owns a modernly constructed and equipped municipal hospital with a new $75,000

nurse's home under construction, which latter building is the gift of F. B. Pope as a memorial to his de­ceased wife, Maggie Shain Pope, and of her deceased parents, Jesse Shain and Mrs. Fannie Eubank Shain.

McKinney is one of the most beau­tiful little cities in Texas, one of the most delightful to live in on account of all its modern conveniences and one of the best to make a living and grow rich in.

In the language of the late T. B. Wilson "there is nothing fictitious or speculative or ephemeral in the pros-perily and steady growth of McKin­ney and Collin county. It rests upon a solid foundation that is sure to strengthen and improve with the prog­ress of the agricultural and industrial development of the state. This black, rich, practically exhaustless soil is worth more to McKinney and the county than would be all the gold mines of the Klondike or the gushing oil wells of other portions of the state.

It is doubtful whether there is any land in England that is as fertile as that of Collin county. Yet, the aver­age rental value of good arable land in England is said to be $50.00 per acre and the renters make money. This annual rental of land in England represents about half the market value of land in Collin county which is des­tined to greatly increase in price as its productivity and worth becomes more generally known and appre­ciated.

History of McKinney and Collin County, 1924, by Walter B. Wilson


33° 11' 50.1" N, 96° 38' 23.208" W