Blue Ridge, Texas
Blue Ridge Methodist Church. The town of Blue Ridge was established in 1876. Four years later, the Rev. W.L. Fagg donated land for a Methodist Protestant church. He served as the church's first pastor and was succeeded by the Rev. Martin Gentry. A tabernacle erected behind the church was used for summer revivals.
In 1913 W.L. Fagg and his wife bought a tract of land on this site from M.L. and Goldie Fagg. The church building was moved here, closer to downtown, so that the congregation might grow with the community. The building survived a devastating 1919 tornado that tore through Blue Ridge. The church was expanded in 1923 with the purchase of adjoining property from C.D. and Hettie Fagg Manning. The Methodist Protestant Church joined with the older Methodist Episcopal Church of Blue Ridge, and became known as First Methodist Church.
During the Depression era, the church was unable to pay a minister. Members continued to hold Sunday school classes, support the Ladies' Aid Organization and attend summer revivals. Ten members formed a missionary society in the 1940s. They raised funds through quilting bees, holiday dinners, ice cream suppers and bazaars in order to pay the pastor's salary, conference fees and utility bills. The church thrived in the 1960s and 1970s. It joined with United Methodist churches in the nearby communities of Trenton and Whitewright to form the Trinity Cooperative Parish. In 1976 the United Methodist Women and United Methodist Men programs were established, and plans for a new educational building began in 1977.
The First United Methodist Church of Blue Ridge continues in the traditions of its founders with programs of worship and service. - Historical Marker Text, 2000. Marker located at 104 N. Main St.