Childress County, Texas
Childress County, on the eastern edge of the Panhandle, is bounded on the east by Oklahoma, on the south by Cottle County, on the West by Hall County, and on the north by Collingsworth County. The county seat, Childress, is located 116 miles southeast of Amarillo, on the Fort Worth and Denver Railway and U.S. Highway 287.
Cities, Towns & Communities
Childress - county seat | Carey | Kirkland | Tell
When Childress County was formed, an election in April 1887 named Childress City the county seat. Three months later in July, a second election moved the county seat to Henry, a railroad town. The name of Henry was changed to Childress and the city has been the county seat ever since.
The first courthouse was built in 1887; it was a long narrow one story wooden building. In 1890 construction began on a three story brick courthouse with a bell tower. When the building was less than one year old in Oct 1891, it was destroyed by fire. Construction immediately started on the third courthouse, using the plans from the second courthouse, but adding fireproofing measures. This 1891 courthouse was torn down in 1939 after the opening of the current courthouse. The current courthouse was built in 1939.
Childress County Courthouse
County Clerk - Zona Prince
100 Avenue E NW
Courthouse Box 4
Childress, Texas 79201
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories. Created August 21, 1876. Organized April 11, 1887. Named in honor of George Campbell Childress 1804-1841. A member of the Convention in 1836. Co-author of the Texas Declaration of Independence . Childress, the county seat. - Historical Marker Text
Childress County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
The Childress County Story, 1971