Wells History 1934. In 1885, Major E. H. Wells and the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad Company established a town on the new railroad, named Wells for the Major, who was a railroad engineer. Thus pioneer settlers in the section, including the Bowmans, Chapman, Spinks, Humphreys, Odoms, Rozelles, Falveys, Warners, Rawls, Goodwins, Baileys, and Simpsons, were furnished a closer market.
Among the early merchants were John Bailey, William Herrington, W. H. Spinks, Kemp Davidson, and Winsel Hilencamp, who moved his business from Cheeseland in Angelina County. The first hotel proprietor, W. A. Smith, soon sold to J. A. Brewer. For some thirty years Doctor J. C. Falvey served the community.
Today Doctor J. L. Dubose is the only physician. Among present merchants, J. N. Shamass, B. H. Bowman and Rube Sessions have the longest service records. The town now has sixteen business houses, a thirteen-teacher school and two churches. The Methodist Church is the pioneer Mt. Hope Church. For a quarter of a century J. R. Oliver has distributed Wells mail. - A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach
Primitive Baptist Church of Wells. Alabama native Francis Marion Sessions is credited with the organization of the Primitive Baptist Church of Wells. Prior to his 1890 arrival in the town, Primitive Baptists traveled to Angelina County to worship in the Old Sand Hill Primitive Baptist Church. Although a formal organization date for the Wells church is unrecorded, Sessions and others began meeting in their homes and in the public schoolhouse and in 1918 purchased this school building and property for use as a permanent place of worship. Early leaders in the church included members of the Childers, Wilson and McAdams families. Often in attendance at the monthly services were residents of Angelina, Nacogdoches and Trinity counties. Hymns were sung in special arrangements without the accompaniment of musical instruments, a tradition in rural America known as sacred harp singing. The Old School Primitive Baptist Church, as it came to be known, often served as a gathering place for area harp singers. Sessions' death in 1930 was followed by that of other older members of the church, and the congregation eventually ceased to meet. Although the Primitive Baptist Church no longer exists in Wells, the church building still stands as a reminder of its history. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1984. Located on FM 1247 in Wells.