Lone Star, Texas
Lone Star, first burdened with the much less pleasing name of "Skin Tight," dates its existence from the early '80s when H. L. Reeves, allegedly a skinner, established its first store. Among its influential pioneers were the Dolbys, Tiptons, Pierces, Conners, Morrises, McCrimmons, Balls, Drakes, Cleavers and Blacks.
In its heyday it had five or more stores, three churches, a lodge and the Lone Star Institute, a school of more than local prominence. Today Scott Arnwine owns its only store. Like many another once thriving business town, it was ruined by a new railroad rival —Ponta. - A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach
Lone Star was founded in the early 1880s by Henry L. Reeves, who established a store on the border of the G. Chisholm and F. S. Manchaca surveys. Reeves quickly became known for his hard-dealing tactics, and local farmers dubbed the place Skin Tight. In 1883 a post office was granted, and the name of the community was changed to Lone Star. By 1885 the new settlement had a steam gristmill and cotton gin, a district school, a sawmill, a general store, and a population of 160. In 1893 a fire destroyed much of the town's business district, but most of the buildings were quickly rebuilt, and by the mid-1890s the town's population had grown to 300. After 1900 Lone Star began to decline. When the Texas and New Orleans Railroad bypassed the town in 1903, many of the merchants and residents moved to newly established Ponta on the railroad. By 1915 the population of Lone Star had fallen to 200, and the following year the post office was closed. Oil was discovered nearby in 1939, but the field was never very productive and was abandoned in 1960. As late as 1940 the small town still had three businesses and seventy-five residents, but after World War II most of the remaining inhabitants moved out of the area. In the early 1990s only a badly weathered blacksmith shop remained. A state historical marker was placed at the site in the 1980s. In 2000 the population was twenty. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Lone Star. The ante bellum community of Lone Star, a center of trade, education and culture in the 1880s, experienced its greatest growth after the Civil War. Known first as "Skin Tight," it was named Lone Star when a post office opened in 1883. The town once had several businesses, a public school, four churches, two lodges and the Lone Star Institute. The town began to decline after a disastrous fire in 1893. Decline continued when the T & N O Railroad bypassed Lone Star. Hope for the community's revival died when two oil field discoveries did not prove to be profitable. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1985. Location: 4 miles southwest of New Summerfield on FM 235.
Myrtle Springs Cemetery. Begun during the 1860s, this cemetery served as a burial ground for citizens of the town of Lone Star as well as other scattered settlements in the area. Many homesteads were located nearby, and a union church was attended by many families until the 1920s. The cemetery is located on land deeded to the Myrtle Springs Church by area pioneer Thomas Garrison. Though several hand-cut sandstone markers are illegible or contain only initials, the earlier marked grave is that of Martha C. Wallace, born in 1852, and buried here in 1866. At least fifteen veterans of the Civil War are interred here, and more are believed to rest in unmarked graves. In October 1950, an additional tract for land was added to the original cemetery plot. In 1963 a group of area citizens formed a cemetery association for the care of the burial ground. The state of Texas granted a perpetual care charter ot the association in 1967. Although the settlement of Lone Star became a ghost town, the cemetery has served a widespread rural community, including the town of Ponta and area farms and homesteads. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1986. Located 3 miles south of New Summerfield on rural road between FM 235 and FM 2274