Gallatin History 1934. After donating switching ground to the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, J. W. and Miss S. A. Chandler had a town site surveyed on their adjacent land in 1901. Asked to name the new town, C. H. Martin, a Rusk attorney, chose the name of his native Tennessee town, Gallatin. Two stores were opened before the railroad was completed : Hood Melton, drugs ; and J. W. Chandler, drygoods. S. A. Jenkins J. E. Turney and S. G. Odom & Company were also early merchants, the last two still being in business. J. A. Garner opened his hardware store some twenty years ago. The town has three churches, their sites being donated by the Chandlers. The Gallatin school was the first consolidated school in the county, the Gallatin district the first independent rural district. Although the town itself is relatively new, the Gallatin section had settlers before the county was organized. Among the pioneers were the Jenkins, Henrys, Bridges, Davises, Taylors, Van Zandts and Thompsons.
In 1928 a Gallatin farmer, J. D. Dickinson, brought distinction to Cherokee County by winning first prize at the International Grain Show for the best five ears of corn. - A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach