Civilian Conservation Corps at Linden. As part of the New Deal's efforts to offer unemployed workers jobs on public projects, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the United States Congress created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in March 1933. Three months later, Company 1814 was organized in Fort Logan, Colorado, to serve in reforestation and other conservation efforts. After transfers to Groveton and Austin, Texas, the company was transferred to Linden on June 4, 1937. The CCC enrollees in Linden established their camp here on the nearby hillside. Working closely with the U. S. Forest Service, they built 35 miles of roads with 25 bridges, ran 147 miles of telephone line, and spent many hours fighting and suppressing forest fires in the area. While living here, the men also landscaped their campground with flowers and grass. In April 1939, they held an open house for the community during which hundreds of residents came out to learn of the accomplishments of the local CCC camp. On October 4, 1939, company 1814 was transferred to Arizona, and the camp in Linden was abandoned. Some physical evidence of their headquarters, including rock walls, cabin foundations and equipment, remains at the site. Their legacy stands as an important part of the heritage of Cass County and the East Texas forest industry. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2001. Located 0.5 mile north of SH 11 on Legion Rd., Linden.
Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ. The Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ was organized in 1851 with twelve charter members. This sanctuary, built in 1885 on land donated by Isaac and Felix Grundy Lemmon, replaced the original 1851 log church building. Constructed of cypress and featuring a steeply pitched roof and double entry doors, this structure reflects a simple style typical of 19th century rural Texas churches. A historic cemetery dating to 1864 is adjacent to the building. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991. Located off FM 2683 on CR 1771 about 8 mi. S of Linden via US 59.