Lufkin Businesses 1888
M'PHERSON & DAVIS.
This firm is composed of B. L. McPherson and J. F. Davis, Esq,. They transact a receiving and forwarding business, and weigh and sample cotton. In addition to this. Mr. McPherson has a grist mill and cotton gin in the suburbs of the town, which is liberally patronized.
LEWIS & MOORE.
C. A. Lewis and W. L. Moore, Carpenters and Builders, compose this firm. As they are thorough workmen and do first class work, it will be to the interest of those intending to build to give them the contract for the work.
A. W. ELIAS
Is established permanently in the brick block; with a full, line of general merchandise.
T. R. BONNER & CO.
About six miles north of Lufkin, is a large steam Gary mill, owned by T. R. Bonner & Co. and under the management of T. W. Clawson, Esq. It has a capacity for $30,000 feet of. lumber a day, gives employment to 100 hands and does a flourishing trade. Being on the K. & G. S. L. railroad, they have convenient shipping facilities.
HENDERSON & KURTH.
Two miles north of town on the Kansas & Gulf Short Line Railroad, is found the steam saw mill of the above named gentlemen. They do a large and constantly increasing business in rough and dressed lumber and give employment to a considerable number of hands.
A. J. SMITH.
The hotel of A. J. Smith fronting the depot, is well and neatly kept, the table supplied with all of the delicacies procurable in the market and every thing done that conduce to the comfort of the regular boarders or traveling public.
E. T. DURROUGH.
In the heart of the pine district., is the shingle machine of Mr. G. Durrough, six and one half miles from town. He has on hand an abundant supply of heart and sap shingles at market prices. His P. O. address is Lufkin, where those desiring particulars can direct their letters. Being located immediately on the K. & G. S. L. Ry., Mr. Durrough is prepared for making shipments on short notice.
A. C. VINSON & CO.
Deal in dry goods, groceries and general merchandise.
W. W. MANNTNO. & CO.
Carry a general assortment of drugs family groceries and furniture.
History and description of Angelina County, Texas, 1888