First Christian Church, Palestine
Rev. P. C. Caudle was the pastor to succeed Rev. Mr. Roberts. Rev. Frank Talmage came to the church for the years 1892-3; Rev. S. P. Ben-brook in 1894; Rev. Frank Talmage again in 1895. Ill health forced his resignation and he moved to New Mexico. Mr. Eugene Kane united with the church at this time. Like his brothers, he developed into a great church worker. As Superintendent of the Sunday School, he was a brilliant success. He set the membership goal at three hundred and when the end was achieved he had the I&GN Ry run a special train to Price's Switch to carry those exuberant celebrants to a picnic! It was through Mr. Eugene Kane that Mr. George Teamer became interested in the church, first as a Sunday School worker and organist, then as originator and builder of the "Humaniphone" (of wide general interest). For years he served as elder.
Rev. R. R. Hamlin served next as pastor for a period of five years, a wonderfully successful period. The pastor conducted his own meetings annually, these resulting in seventy-five additions, approximately, each year. His wife, a gifted musician and leader in church work generally, was a splendid help. Rev. J. C. Mason of Houston succeeded Rev. Mr. Hamlin and further strengthened the church. Rev. L. D. Anderson whose ten years pastorate has been termed the "Golden Age" of the church came in 1903. The present church was built during this period, the pastor refusing all calls until same was paid for—which was an accomplished fact in 1912. Mrs. J. C. Stevens, a wonder worker with the Women's Missionary Society, and Mr. H. C. Stehling, Church Treasurer for twenty years and chairman of the official board, together with his consecrated wife, came to the church during Rev. Mr. Anderson's pastorate. The late Mr. G. E. Daley was also one of Brother Anderson's converts. Mr. Dilley was the heaviest contributor to the church, with Mr. A. B. Hodges a close second. Messrs. Sam. Duncan and Frank Martin were two workers during same pastorate, who were ever ready and willing to undertake any task for the church. Mr. Martin was a con of Mrs. M. A. Martin, for many years one of the faithful, consecrated members of the church. Rev. Mr. Anderson's pastorate, so gloriously successful from every viewpoint, was so, Mr. Kane declares, because "this wonderful leader, pastor and organizer was energetically encouraged and supported by as faithful a congregation as ever labored in putting over a church program."
"The whole-hearted, self-sacrificing efforts put forth for the new church would make an epic if properly sung. Col. Swanson's will contained a bequest for $1000.00 for the new church, and many memorial windows donated by loved ones helped greatly. Then the Ladies' Aid installed the beautiful pipe organ during the Haskins pastorate—paying for same from their own funds and efforts. The pastor's wife, Mrs. Haskins, was one of the most active workers in this great task.
Rev. L. B. Haskins, classmate of Rev. Mr. Anderson, succeeded his friend as pastor in 1912—another noteworthy pastorate which continued the work along the lines laid down by Rev. Mr. Anderson. Mrs. Haskins, a musician of note, added much to the success of her husband's pastorate. Rev. A. E. Ewell came to the church as pastor in 1916. He and his devout Christian wife were much beloved. He resigned in 1918 to accept the pastorate of a church in Houston. Rev. A. L. Clinkenbeard became pastor in 1918. Ill health marred a pastorate otherwise successful in every way. Mrs. Clinkenbeard, a talented pianist, gave much pleasure with her music. One of the outstanding occasions in both the church and Palestine was a recital given by her and Miss Vinnie Keller, Palestine's sweet singer, in the church auditorium.