First Baptist Church, Elkhart
The writer cannot refrain, in this connection, from saying a few words about Mrs. J. D. DuPuy as a member of the church. She was so faithful and so devoted. She was "ready to go, ready to stay,. ready her place to fill" on any line of work for the church. The pastors coming twice a month, always liked to stay with her. They would visit other homes periodically, but the DuPuy's was "home." Brother Gore, Brother Funderburk, Brother Lunsford, and Brother Meadows have all, at different times, served as pastors.
The members who have so faithfully labored in the church for a number of years have seen it grow from its small beginning to a membership of, approximately three hundred. The church has a pastor, Brother Ludlow, for full time for the first time, and all departments are functioning splendidly. Mrs. Louise Price is Sunday School Superintendent; Mr. Greer, Teacher of Men's Bible class; Mrs. Paxton, teacher of the Women's Bible class; Marshall Gammage is leader of the choir, and Mrs. Pelham, pianist. Bennie Weatherford and his good wife, Mrs. Pauline Weatherford, have both served as officers and are always in their places, and S. B. Henderson, who served faithfully as Superintendent, Mrs. Dan Miller, Ivan Gammage, church treasurer; and L. N. Eastman, leader of the B. T. S. are all devoted -workers. Other teachers: Mrs. Cupp, Mrs. McCracken, Mrs. Ivan Gammage, Mrs. Frank Montgomery, Denny Miller, and Mrs. Pelham. Other preachers: Reverends H. C. Funderburk, Thornton, Marlin, Foster, Ramsour, Ball, Campbell, Dean, Edge, Thompson and M. L. Fuller.
The Deacons are: S. P. Terrell, B. J. Parker, Allen Starr, Dike Jones, Marshall Gammage.
A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas, 1936 by Pauline Buck Hohes.
First Baptist Church of Elkhart. After the Civil War, the Cromwell family moved to Elkhart in Anderson County. Finding no organized Baptist Church in the community, J.W. Cromwell decided to organize a Baptist church. In April of 1886, Cromwell and six other charter members founded the Baptist Church of Elkhart and called on Reverend Julius Burk to serve as the first pastor. A church home was established in 1876 on the Quarles plantation for the purpose of a school and church, known at that time as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1897, land was sold to the Missionary Baptist Church and a wooden structure was erected. The church moved a third time when the wooden structure burned in 1943. Sadly, all of the church records were lost. The church then moved to the old mercantile building but it also burned in 1963. After briefly using the Elkhart high school auditorium, the church purchased land from the Funderburk family and built a new structure. The new church building was dedicated on June 21, 1964. Thirty-four pastors have served the congregation and the church is one of the oldest to be established inside the city. From 1886 to 1890, the church belonged to the Neches River Association and from 1891 to the present, it has held membership in the Anderson County Baptist association, later renamed Saline Baptist Association. The church’s history is marked by numerous church activities and community events including summer revivals, weddings, funerals, Easter and Christmas services, Vacation Bible Schools and an Annual Christmas Food Drive. For more than a century, the church has been a beacon of light in the community. – Historical Marker Text. Marker dedicated 2012.