Denson Springs, Texas
Denson Springs was settled before the Civil War and named for a Mrs. Denson, a member of the Bradshaw family that owned a land grant near the community site; the Bradshaws were among the early settlers in the area. An early school was located near the community on the land of a settler named Grayson and was called Grayson School. Before the Civil War the school was one of the largest in the county, and its building was also used as a Baptist church. In 1887 the school was moved to the site of present Denson Springs. Denson Springs post office operated from 1893 to 1918. In 1896 the community had a general store run by Wortham and Company, and in 1901 it had three businesses, a doctor's office, a gin and mill, a church, and the school. By 1914 the population was estimated at 100, and the community had two general stores and a cotton gin. In 1934 the Denson Springs school had forty-six pupils and two teachers, and in 1936 the school and several dwellings were still at the site. The school was consolidated with the Slocum schools by 1955, and by 1982 Denson Springs consisted only of a cemetery and several scattered dwellings. In 2000 the population was 100. Source: Handbook of Texas Online
Denson Springs was visited by the same tornado that devastated Slocum in April 1929.
"Four miles east of Slocum the twister dipped again and wiped out the little hamlet of Benson Springs [sic - Denson Springs], destroying five residences, a cotton gin and a store. No one was reportedly injured." - San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco, CA 25 Apr 1929
Denson Springs School. The early school at Denson Springs was on the old Grayson place and was called Grayson School. In 1887 it was moved to its present location. Denson Springs is a common school district.
Some of the early teachers were Frank Austin 1901-2; Young Lacy; Miss Gaily Butler; Z. Broughton; Adam Cone (his first school); Miss Allbritton; Mr. Coy Starkey and Miss Ora Lee Cliburne.
The school house is also used for a church. Rev. Ken Lively preached the first sermon and held the first meeting. Early Baptists were: Mr. and Mrs. Goff; Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson; Mrs. Denson; Mrs. Robinson; Mr. and Mrs. James W. Gardner.
The name, Denson Springs, was chosen in compliment to Mrs. Denson, who was a member of the pioneer Bradshaw family. - A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas, 1936 by Pauline Buck Hohes.
Denson Springs Cemetery. Early settlers of this area, known as Ioni after a nearby Indian village, began arriving in the early 1830s. The land on which this cemetery is located was granted to James Bradshaw in 1835. When he died in 1844, the property was inherited by his brother, William, who moved here with his family from Nacogdoches in 1849. One of William Bradshaw's daughters, Diana, married Kindred Watkins in 1850. When their first child, a son, was born and died on August 15, 1851, he was buried near their home. The child's burial was the first in what would become Denson Springs Cemetery. Over the years, this one-acre plot became a family burial ground. Later, other settlers of the area were also buried here, and when the name of the community was changed in 1878 to Denson Springs, this site became known as the Denson Springs Cemetery. Besides the marked graves, it is believed there are a number of unmarked burials. Veterans of the Civil War, World War I, and World War II are interred here. The graveyard was deeded to the Denson Springs Cemetery Association in 1980. Set in a grove of trees, it is a quiet reminder of the area's early pioneers and settlers. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986. - Historical Marker Text. Located 6 mi. east of Slocum on SH 294, then .5 mi. north on CR 1220.